Bellows couplings are a type of flexible coupling that is designed to transmit torque between two shafts while also providing a high degree of misalignment compensation. They are made up of a thin-walled, flexible corrugated tube (the bellows) that is connected between two clamping hubs.
The Bellows coupling is made of a high-strength metal, such as stainless steel or titanium, and it is designed to flex and absorb misalignments without causing damage to the coupling.
Bellows couplings offer a number of benefits over other types of flexible couplings, including:
- High torsional stiffness: Bellows couplings have a very high torsional stiffness, which means that they can transmit torque without twisting or distorting. This makes them ideal for applications where precise positioning is required, such as machine tools and robotics.
- High misalignment compensation: Bellows couplings can compensate for a wide range of misalignments, both axial and angular. This makes them ideal for applications where the shafts are not perfectly aligned, such as in older machinery or in applications where the shafts are subject to vibration.
- Low inertia: Bellows couplings have very low inertia, which means that they have little effect on the performance of the drive train. This makes them ideal for applications where high speed or acceleration is required.
- Durability: Bellows couplings are very durable and can withstand a wide range of operating conditions, including high temperatures and harsh environments.
Here are some specific examples of applications where Bellows couplings are used:
- Machine tools: Bellows couplings are used in machine tools to provide precise positioning and to compensate for misalignments between the spindle and the workpiece.
- Robotics: Bellows couplings are used in robotics to provide smooth and precise movement.
- Instrumentation: Bellows couplings are used in instrumentation to transmit torque between rotating and stationary components without introducing errors.
- Textile machinery: Bellows couplings are used in textile machinery to transmit torque between the drive shaft and the textile fiber.
- Food processing machinery: Bellows couplings are used in food processing machinery to transmit torque between the drive shaft and the food processing equipment components.
- HVAC systems: Bellows couplings are used in HVAC systems to transmit torque between the drive shaft and the fans or pumps.
If you are looking for a flexible coupling that offers high torsional stiffness, high misalignment compensation, low inertia, and durability, then a Bellows coupling is the perfect choice for you.
About Candy Controls
Candy Controls has been engineering innovative motion control products for over 60 years. Candy’s precision differential gearboxes, servo reducers, screw jacks, bevel boxes, phase-shifting and zero-backlash couplings play a critical role in machine optimization. Candy Controls is constantly striving to provide unique products that meet the expanding needs of the motion control industry. For more information about these productivity-increasing products, contact Candy Controls at 847-588-2639, or visit the company’s website at www.candycontrols.com